Words Words Words...
The reaction to the condition of your heart.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

dandelions and baseballs

I seem to look everywhere for green fields? I'm not talking about rice fields either. The smell of the freshly cut grass, oh how I do miss this smell. The excitement and butterflies that you get as you step up to plate and wonder how the pitch is going to come in this time, absolutely thrilling. The feeling of the dirt being rubbed under my cleats as I always kick off before heading off of first (yeah I know... who kicks off right?), anticipation. The white dust and red dirt that smokes into the air as you slide into home-plate, scary all the while exciting. The longing to dodge the bat and hear the smack and clinging as the ball flies into the air, with the hopes of course that it reaches outfield (shouts of praises if it goes beyond), blam to say-baseball high. I love the dynamite experience as you blast it towards the fence. I can't forget to mention the double take my arm always pops as coming abought on a throw, ah what memories the green field brings.

I was pondering past game memories in class today, I will mention a few.
  • (memory 1) year: 1988 I began to play softball when I was 5 or 6 years old. Keep in mind that at this time that I was young, easily distracted, and would randomly wander off to pick flowers while singing and making up songs in my head. :-D You could say that I was a day-dreamer and space cadet. I won't admit that I'm still like this today, maybe I don't have too if you know me well. Oh how my mother and coaches gave me much grace during my first year at the game. I have to say that I didn't play much, but I sure did enjoy putting my glove (which I still have) oh my head and seeing how many spins I could do until I fell down. I remember at one time picking dandelions and putting them in the creases of my glove, all the while missing the balls that came in my direction of the outfield. Hey what can I say.... I was only a 'peewee'.
  • (memory 2) year: 1993 I was in 4th grade and can remember anticipating all the softball games but hated the outfield. My favorite position was shortstop, even if I was short. Yea... if you think I'm short now, I was pretty short then too. Softball was one of my highlights at this time. At this time my grandmother was really sick with cancer, so it was one of the times we were able to get away from the hospital. Most people have memories of hot-dogs from baseball games, not me. I would have to say that it would have been the pink sparkly laffy taffy. I swear I ate about 10 each game and they were the extra big ones! I think I'm craving one right now... it's a surprise I didn't get cavities.
  • (memory 3) year: 1997 One of my last years in high school to play. As much as I loved the game, my rebellious period kicked in.
  • (College) Softball longing drew too strong, rebelious years died down, and I broke down and joined a league. That summer I had a nice trip down my apt. stairs and broke my foot in 5 places! Softball out for the summer, so disappointed. :-(


Where oh where art thou fields?

Memories, memories, memories I say. 'sigh' how I miss home today.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy the things you miss when you move away from home. Lawns here in Indy, are full of dandelions this year!

    ReplyDelete